1.24.2011

In Need of Sunshine

Soooo.... it's been a long, cold winter here at the Johnson household. Starting around the end of November, we've been piling illness upon illness from back-to-back strep throats to croup to pneumonia to our latest bouts with the flu. All this mixed in with a couple of weeks of being 'snowed in,' and it's enough to make a person go completely stir crazy. Well, this person, anyway :). I was not designed to stay in the house for weeks at a time... especially with small children. I am completely out of ideas (and motivation, for that matter) for what to do with the kiddos, and am counting down the days until spring when we can jump on the trampoline, play in the sand, swing, go for picnics, really anything that involves being outside of these four... err, 6... walls. In the meantime, however, we have occupied ourselves with hours and hours of uno (my son can now beat me), some videos (yes, I'm one of those parents), and whatever else we can stir up.
In an effort to not come across as a 'glass half empty' kind of gal, I will say that I have enjoyed certain aspects of all this one-on-one time with my boys. They are most definitely rowdy, a little aggressive, irrational and somewhat whiny, but they are also the sweetest things on the planet. Not a day (sometimes an hour) goes by that Dylan doesn't hop in my lap and whisper in a raspy little voice, 'I love you.', or Wesley says, 'you're so pretty, mommy.' On Saturday, Wesley was eating lunch, turned to me and declared that he wanted to marry me - to which I replied, 'well, wouldn't I be the luckiest woman in the world??!!' He shook his head and, serious as the world, said, 'No, mommy, I would be lucky!' Are you kidding??! Doesn't get much better than that. Not even really good chocolate... not even really, really good chocolate. Another example - I am still battling with some nasty virus, and yesterday Dylan was hanging out with me... he asked what was wrong, and I told him that I didn't feel very good. He said he wanted to make me feel better, so he went into the bathroom and came out with the bandaids... he covered my face with them, and said, 'all better?' I had to lie and tell him that I did... I think lying is acceptable in situations like this, don't you?

1 comment:

Williams Family said...

They are so sweet! Sounds like the post I just made on my site. Someone has been sick with something since Christmas. It is easy to let the bad override the good sometimes. It helps to have sweet babies. I hope you are all feeling better soon.